LifeLock® Junior™ is the newest membership plan designed especially to protect a child from identity theft. Child identity theft is one of the easier crimes thieves can commit. Any child is vulnerable in this world full of data breaches.
Every child in the US gets a social security number before turning a year old. When a thief gets the information, a child is especially at risk because they will use it more frequently than an adult’s. After all, what’s more perfect than a credit file that no one ever thinks to check?
The pristine credit file of a minor is a true gold mine for an id thief. According to former LifeLock CEO, Todd Davis, “This type of activity can go undetected for years and have disastrous effects once uncovered.” Wireless phone accounts and credit cards are common forms of misuse.
Warning signs of identity theft are receiving a notice of unpaid income taxes or getting collection calls or bills for products or services you didn’t receive or apply for.
With a child’s identity information, a thief can:
- Take out loans
- Apply for credit cards
- Turn on utilities
- Rent a house or apartment
- Get a job
- Get a payday loan
- Buy a house, a car, boat, motor home
- Get a wireless phone plan
It’s not normal for parents to check on a child’s credit information because we know our child hasn’t applied for anything from the list above! But the moment a baby gets a social security number, they instantly become vulnerable.
For this reason, LifeLock created a Junior plan to protect your kids from identity theft.
- Credit File Detection
- Any credit information in a child’s name can be a sign of identity theft. LifeLock will monitor a child’s SSN for any credit files being opened.
- LifeLock Identity Alert System†
- Active monitoring for applications with a child’s personal data with the proprietary Not Me™ technology. Alerts get sent if suspicious activity is detected so that you can respond immediately to confirm fraudulent activity.
- Black Market Website Surveillance
- LifeLock patrols over 10,000 criminal websites where identity thieves all over the world illegally buy, sell and trade personal information.
- File-Sharing Network Searches
- Peer-to-peer sharing is common with kids (and adults!) for sharing music, photos and more. If a child’s info is found, an alert is triggered.
- $1 Million Total Service Guarantee‡
- LifeLock is well-known for this service. They will spend up to a million dollars to hire experts to help a child’s recovery if their identity is stolen while being a member.
- 24/7/365 Member Service
- Any time you have a question or concern, you can get answers by signing in to your secure member portal at LifeLock.com, email Member.Services@LifeLock.com or call 1-800-LifeLock (543-3562).
- Certified Resolution Support
- Specialists are trained and certified in the Fair Credit Report Act. They are there to handle the case – no need to wonder what to do next.
How Much Does It Cost?
Per child under the age of 18:
- $5.99 monthly or $5.39 – 10% off when using promo code: 10Now
- $65.99 yearly or $59.39 – 10% off when using promo code: 10Now
(Applicable sales tax not included.)
On a child’s 18th birthday, (s)he will automatically be upgraded to the LifeLock core identity plan.
How to Enroll
You can easily add a child to a membership by logging into the member dashboard. Click on the “Manage Account” tab and follow the directions. If you prefer, you can also do it by phone – 1-800-LifeLock.
The Junior plan is an add-on to a parent’s plan. If you are already a member you can simply login and add your kids. If you’re not a member already, go ahead and enroll in any of the plans, then add your child.
Why Trust LifeLock?
LifeLock has been protecting identities since 2005. The technology they use is proactive rather than reactive. Reactive solutions are often too late, informing consumers that there is an identity theft issue after meaningful damage has already happened. Nothing can stop identity theft from happening but knowing early can mitigate the damage substantially.
As of April 2016, there are 4.3 million members enrolled with a 85.8% retention rate. Because members vote with their wallets, that’s a large degree of confidence from existing members.
The company is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau of Greater Arizona.²
Get LifeLock Junior now to protect your kids!
You can still add your child to your LifeLock membership for $2.25 a month when you use the promo code TEN30. The child plan currently has different and less coverage than the new Jr. plan. It has to be as an add-on to a parent’s plan.
At this time, LifeLock does not offer family plans. Each person wanting coverage will need to enroll separately. The $1 Million Total Service Guarantee‡ covers each person individually.
*Credit card required at enrollment. If you’re not completely satisfied within your 30-day risk-free period, call 1-800-LifeLock to receive a full refund. At enrollment, your credit card will be bill automatically ($8.99mo/$98.90yr for LifeLock Standard™ or $17.99mo/$197.90yr for LifeLock Advantage™ or $26.99mo/$296.90yr for LifeLock Ultimate Plus™, plus applicable sales tax). Further details about automatic charges will be provided at enrollment. You can cancel LifeLock services anytime without penalty by calling 1-800-LifeLock. Offer is for new LifeLock members only. Offer is available for LifeLock Standard™, LifeLock Advantage™ and LifeLock Ultimate Plus™ memberships only. Not combinable with other offers.
†Network does not cover all transactions.
‡Service Guarantee benefits for State of New York members are provided under a Master Insurance Policy issued by State National Insurance Company. Benefits for all other members are provided under a Master Insurance Policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. Under the Service Guarantee LifeLock will spend up to $1 million to hire experts to help your recovery. Please see the policy for terms, conditions and exclusions at LifeLock.com/legal.